Monday 26 December 2011

The New Knitwear

A recent trend that has been featured in many magazines including ELLE and I believe in Vogue, is the new way to wear knitwear. In recent months cardigans have been oversized boyish types which I have to state I love! For spring of 2012 however the trend is to wear smaller neatly fitting cardigans that simulate those worn by women in the 1950's and early 1960's. The trend is also to wear them with knee length skirts for the complete look and to also wear a shirt underneath so that a collar is visible.This is the look that Lara Stone has took however she has a jumper not a cardigan, either works perfectly.
This is something I want to try as it is not a usual approach for me, I always tend to buy oversized knitted jumpers and cardigans that can be worn with leggings etc for that easy laid back look. A smaller cardigan however is a ladylike looking piece that does not share the easy laid back appeal.
I have found some pictures mostly vintage ones of the real deal worn at the time.

Lara Stone, which was in Vogue recently
Another image from Vogue
An old advert for a knitting pattern from the 1950's
Another advert for knitting a cardigan from the 1950's
A package for a knitting pattern from the 1960's

No comments:

Post a Comment